Friday, October 4, 2013

Mornings

Dear Internet,

I have always loved mornings.

Okay, that's a lie. As a teenager, I definitely did NOT love mornings. In fact, my appreciation for mornings is a very recent development, within the past year or so. It probably started the first morning after my last practicum, where, instead of sleeping in like a normal person, I thought to myself, "wouldn't it be great to get up at 6:30 every day and have a little bit of extra time in the morning to relax and prepare for the day ahead of me?" And so I did. All summer, in fact, I made an effort to get up early. When your body has become used to getting up at 6:30 and going to bed at 9:30 every night, it's not that much of a challenge.

Many people think it's pretty nuts that my sleeping schedule is like this - after all, why would a healthy adult without children go to bed so early? The night, right before bed, is a time that most people take to unwind from their long and busy day. What I like to do, however, is unwind before my day has started.

This might seem pretty familiar: your alarm goes off at 7. You hit snooze as many times as you know you can before it is officially necessary for you to get out of bed. You groggily jump in the shower, put yourself together, perhaps grab a cup of coffee and a small breakfast, then head out to whatever it is that you do. It's pretty much what I did all of high school.

In contrast, I wake up without aid of an alarm between 6 and 6:30 every morning. Admittedly, getting out of bed is challenging, especially now as we get into the fall season where the sun doesn't rise until later. But once I'm out of bed, I can take it slow. Get ready. Have some coffee. Browse the web. Have a good breakfast. I have a nice, relaxing start to my day. When the clock hits 8:50 (beginning of first period) and it's go-go-go from there, I have the energy to keep going-going-going for the rest of the day.

I like it that way.

Sincerely,

Caro

No comments: