Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Healthy Living Woes

Dear Internet,

Lately, ignoring the fact that just tonight I had a box of macaroni and cheese for dinner, I have been trying to start living a healthier lifestyle. That is, eating healthy food, exercising, etc. And it has been quite the pain in my ass.

Let's start with the food. The easier of my two main lifestyle shift goals: eat healthy food. The one that I have actually started. (I'll get to why I haven't started exercising in a moment.) It was going well for a while: not too difficult to accomplish, although I do now have to store stuff in my mini fridge in my room as well as my bin in the fridge downstairs to fit everything. Lately however, things have started going wrong. For instance, I get hungry at work before lunch. Usually I take the edge off my hunger by drinking ridiculous amounts of tea, but the last time I went grocery shopping I thought to myself, "Why don't I get some vegetables to chop up and bring to munch on when I'm hungry?" A great idea! Last Monday I got a cucumber and some carrots for that purpose, and completely forgot about them in my refrigerator until this Tuesday morning. Opened the cucumber, and not only was it soaked with what I assume is condensation, but some of that water is frozen, and the cucumber is squishy. I'm no cucumber expert, but I've never eaten a squishy, slightly discoloured cucumber and I didn't intend to start. This is a problem I have been running into a lot lately, for whatever reason: my food is going bad when it shouldn't be. I mean, I did leave the cucumber there for a week, but I don't think that vegetables should be failing that quickly. I hate throwing out food; it makes me feel like I've wasted my money.

Anyways, besides the whole "my fridge causes my food to rot prematurely" problem, eating well hasn't been too bad. I make stir fry, salad, chicken...all quite good. The main thing I wanted to do this summer, however, was start to get in shape by running. I toyed with the idea all through May and in June finally decided I would get off my lazy ass and do something about it. I called my mom to request that she mail me my running attire, as I had not brought it with me, but she told me that she couldn't find my shoes and told me to just buy new stuff. Okay, fine. Went to the mall, got a pair of shoes, got a good shirt for running, and went home after work one day. I emailed my uncle, who is a personal trainer, asking if he had any tips. While I was discussing my decision to run with him, he said, "The most important thing about running is the shoes, as long as you have a good pair of shoes you're golden," and I felt pretty good about myself because I had just gotten a pair of shoes, and told him so. He asked what brand, and as I was about to say, he said, "Any brand is fine, just don't say Nike." Annnd guess what brand I had bought. Of course. (I do have to say, however, that the shoes were quite expensive and I am glad to have gotten my money back.) He then suggested a few brands, and told me that if I found a pair at SportChek, he could get them at a discount for me. Awesome. So I went to SportChek, found a pair of an acceptable brand, told him...annnnnnd the girl he trains who works at SportChek couldn't get them in my size. That was about a month ago, and nothing has happened since.

However, soon the struggle will stop, as my mother, whom I'm seeing this weekend, heard this story and told me that she would just get me a pair of shoes and I can stop the struggle.

That does mean that I'd actually have to use them though.

Hm. Exercise.

Sincerely,

Caro

No comments: